What is Domain Redemption?
RedemptionA domain typically enters the redemption period about 45 days after its expiration date if it is not renewed or purchased by a 3rd party (30 days if the domain is registered through FastDomains). However, certain top-level domains may enter redemption status the day after the domain's expiration date.
The redemption period usually lasts for 30 days until the domain enters Pending Deletion status.
Domain Life Cycle
- Your domain settings and contact information can be modified while Active
- Typically your domain can be registered or renewed for a minimum of 1 year up to a maximum of 10 years
- Expired - One day after your domain's expiration date, the domain is Expired.
- Your email will stop working
- Your website will be replaced with a "parked" page
- Redemption - Depending on the registrar, your domain can enter redemption about 45 days after it expires. Domain in redemption requires a special redemption fee in addition to the regular domain renewal fee.
- Pending Delete
- Lasts approximately 5 days
- Changes cannot be made to the domain (DNS updates, ownership information)
- Your domain cannot be redeemed
Related Articles:Domain Registration: How To Renew Your Domain
Domain Registration: How To Change Domain Auto-Renewal Settings
Domain Registration: The Life Cycle of a Domain
Domain Registration: How To Renew Multiple Domains